You are here: TRANSLOGIC 69: Corvette ZR1

With a top speed of 205 mph the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 is the fastest production car General Motors has ever built, but this road-ready racer owes quite a bit to its GT counterpart, the C6.R. We head to Pratt & Miller to talk tech transfer with Corvette Racing's technical director Doug Louth.

bjdaymd1

I want Santa to bring me one.

September 13 2011 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lewazzinaroillus

just watched on sept. 3rd, live up in baltimore, the american lemans race at the balt. grand orix, and saw this bad boy doing it's thing trying to win that race,...it was freakin' awesome to see and hear it!,..had one of the best sounds in the entire race,....ferrari's no.2 in sound,...then those beemer m3's,...lastly,...the little porsche gt3rsr's[not such a great exhaust note,...but the falken porsche won the race!,...so i guess sound isn't everything!],...love these vettes almost as much as i do the porsches,...[gotta love those gt3rs's, and gt2's, and turbo's, both the regular and turbo s,...but i'm crazy 'bout this zr1 too,...it was so cool to see 'em live,...and best of all,...to hear them!,...still can't get that roar out of my head,..and want to go again next year,...it was so successful,...baltimore now has a 5 year run for this grand prix race,...so i'll be back ...

September 06 2011 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yorkpamale

Corvette needs to improve their styling and quality because eveyone else is going to pass them by. Maybe they should go rear engine or AWD because they are losing on television shows when being compared to other cars. Their strategy has been to cheapen their parts so they can make a fortune on repair parts. I know because I buy GM vehicles and I just repaired my driver electric window again and replaced my passenger sunvisor lighted mirror because they did what they were designed to do: fail. Unfortunately GM didn't get repair money from me. Sorry, GM.

September 06 2011 at 5:13 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to yorkpamale's comment
kcroc10077

Are you on drugs?

October 05 2011 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patters85

Ferrari and Lambos aren't for daily driving. And they aren't built for the track. They are built for marveling at over a glass of squeezed grapes. And occasionally taken out for driving or a track day. That's all great but who want's that life over stomping the gas every day? If you want to go that extra mile for hand built this and precision stitched whatever. Buy a supercar. But that isn't buying the best performance. That's buying the best assembled components. For the best performance buy a used vette and put all the tuner parts you want on it and beat any "supercar". And then buy a ZR1 with the change. THE END.

September 06 2011 at 2:12 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
patters85

I have driven the Z06 and only looked at a ZR1. The ride was way to harsh for everyday driving. I preferred the 2011Corvette.GS All the fun and all the looks of the extra wide body and with an LS7. This is where most corvette buyers are anyway. Best performance and ride for the money. What does the Ferrari daily driver cost? $200K. I'll stick with my GS. Loaded for $55k. Primitive my a$$!

September 06 2011 at 1:56 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to patters85's comment
jfcalvano

And with an LS7? That's an option on the GS? I'll stick with the real thing: 2006 Z06 Baby! And, with 34,000 she's not exactly a daily driver, but a close second.

November 14 2011 at 7:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jab160

Corvette is always the USA muscle car hard to beat. It would be awesome if they put this powerplant in a through back design.

September 05 2011 at 8:43 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
amosc105

I don't think it's fair to compare this car to say the Ferrari 458 because they're just completely different. A super car is about the experience, the uniqueness of the drive, the engineering, and the design. The ZR1 is an amazing car though.

September 04 2011 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mewsie

I'm all for the advancement of American car companies and technology, and there is a lot to like about the current Corvette lineup... however, this video comes off as little more than a GM-sponsored puff piece (and I like GM).

The LS9 engine, a heavily modified LS3 is without question a great engine, but there is far more to say about the technology and engineering than "so the engine itself is the same, you're just able to add different piece onto the outside." The Corvette has improved significantly in handling, build quality, and usable horsepower, which has translated to surprising times on the Ring and great accolades from reviewers.

Translogic and Hasemeyer say nothing about the process of technology transfer between the GT Le Mans team and the production group. How are those racing lessons applied? What are the constraints? How has the engineering evolved over the years? Has Chevy looked at alternative power sources? How do they see the vehicle developing in the near future?

Obviously this short video isn't going to cover everything Corvette under the sun, but at least some real details and discussion on the technology and engineering would have been nice.

As for the "if you criticize Corvettes you're un-American and hate baby Jesus"... well, take a look at this MT article - http://blogs.motortrend.com/st-antoine-hates-the-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-and-other-myths-2279.html

September 03 2011 at 6:37 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mewsie's comment
patters85

Man are you picky. Go write your own article. You are probably a back seat driver also.

September 06 2011 at 1:24 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to patters85's comment
jfcalvano

Speaking of back seats, I wonder how it feels riding in the back seat of your Corvette GS with the "optional LS7."

November 15 2011 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
Baal

I love the vette. It shows for 1/3 the price and reliability at nearly the top we can talk on the Europeans, and hopefully Japanese in terms of consumer $$$$ cars.

September 03 2011 at 12:10 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Baal's comment
patters85

Japanese? Are you kidding? What japanese car ? The $500k Lexus F? That thing barely beats the boss302 mustang around the track.

September 06 2011 at 1:28 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
avettezl1

I have modified Vettes for 40yrs. The ZR1 and the C6R just makes me smile*******artscorvettesandson.com Muscle is back in a smaller package. Thanks chevy

September 03 2011 at 12:16 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply