You are here: TRANSLOGIC 104: Kenguru Wheelchair-Accessible EV

One major issue facing transportation is accessibility, especially for those in wheelchairs. From public to personal transit, a wheelchair presents unique mobility challenges. Sure, it's possible to outfit existing vehicles for wheelchair accessibility, but the process is expensive and doesn't always yield a complete, integrated solution. That's where Kenguru changes things. The Kenguru is an electric vehicle with no seats, that allows drivers to control the car from their wheelchair. We went to Pflugerville, TX to try it out.

James M

Where do I look into buying one of these bad boys? I'm a quad and use a regular car to transfer into then use hand controls to drive. It would be nice if I had something like this for running errands around town instead of my car especially the way gas prces are NOT going down.. HELP!

May 16 2013 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aurora Baxter

Live in n Vermont . Does this go out on snow, plowed streets. Exacty what we need!

August 12 2012 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Punky

Having another option is always a good thing..cant wait to check into this more.

July 30 2012 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lesliegoolcharan

It's great and all but with all the other pushy drivers out there how would a person get out if they got into a fender bender? Forget first responders trying to get a person out, not knowing they are handicapped.

July 30 2012 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole DeSalme Eagle

Hi, I really, really want one of these cars. Wish I could afford one. It would give me the freedom I want. What a great idea!

July 30 2012 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NANA MY ANGEL

Fantastic

July 30 2012 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

wow!! about time, so the handicaped are not so dependent/transportation

July 30 2012 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
susandba

This is a wonderful idea! I currently use a scooter to get around, since I'm unable to walk. There is something Stacy said that concerns me. I live in Maryland,near Baltimore. Our Mass Transit system offers 'Mobility' for people like me. For the tiny cost of $1.85 each way I can get to the doctor, the movies etc.I'm picked up in a van with a lift. I'm shocked that was not an option for her.
Kenguru looks like a winner!

July 30 2012 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to susandba's comment
Deanna

Not everyone knows about various forms of transportation. Though I'm able to walk, I have other multiple disabilities involving my joints, vision, and hearing...all which limit my balance. I almost lost my "special" bus, because I lived just over a mile from the nearest bus stop, and they expect you to live within a mile. Though I could sometimes take the regular bus if I got out of work early, the two main streets near my parents' house have no sidewalks for about halfway down. With my balance issues, I tend to fall a lot. A few years ago, while walking home on what was already a bad day, I was going from the street back onto where the sidewalk started. I fell and hit my head. It just happened to be on Friday the 13th, with a full moon either that day, or the day before or after. Needless to say, that walk was not always safe. Without special transportation, there's no way I could work at any of the places I been at in the last 10 years or so. One was out in no-mans-land. Where I'm at now is not a great neighborhood, with warehouse style buildings all around me and a vacant field across the street, where anything can happen. My family didn't know there was transportation, until my case worker through the County Board of Developmental Disabilities said something. Now, more than 10 years later, I don't know what I'd do without it. Now I have a van instead of a bus, but it's still for the same purpose...to get back and forth to work at a job I like instead of the local grocery store, which I hated. A couple years ago I moved out of my parents' home, so I'm closer to bus stops, but for those who do not have easy access to other types of bus systems, may not always know there are options. I'm in Cuyahoga County in Ohio. Regular transportation for bussing is called Regional Transit Authority (RTA) and the "handicapped" bus is Paratransit. If you are in need of these services, you may want to contact your county's Board of DD for more info. Hope this helps.

July 30 2012 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JustCallBarbara

Sometimes you don't want to wait to be picked up for every little thing. Sometimes you just want to go visit or other trips. This way you can just get up and go.

July 30 2012 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tris

Sorry for double post

July 30 2012 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tris

At least some of our tax dollars are going towards something worth being proud of

July 30 2012 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply