You are here: TRANSLOGIC 126: Solazyme Algae-Derived Biodiesel

We head to a laboratory in Silicon Valley where Solazyme is using algae to produce a renewable biofuel. This biodiesel burns cleaner and is a drop in replacement for any standard diesel engine. We test out Solazyme's algae-derived biodiesel out in a Volkswagen Passat TDI.

Patricia

sounds like the fuel they are making in Brazil.....it's derived from SUGAR CANE

October 19 2013 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
psttx

Cost per mile is the true test. Bio diesel cost just as much as real diesel but mile has been 15% less so $4.00 diesel at 10 mpg is 40 cents per mile. When I have to buy bio diesel mileage drops to 8.5 mpg or 46 cents per mile. Add 15 cents times 100,000 miles and it cost you an extra $15,000 to drive 100,000 miles.
What is the true efficency of the stuff. Lets talk money not Green. Lots of hype!!!

October 19 2013 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elysianfields08

I thought the article meant the Bush family when I saw the headline

October 19 2013 at 6:15 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
wtbeckone

Nothing was mentioned about the cost or whether the government has to subsidize the company in order to make it competitive with traditional fuels

October 19 2013 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wtbeckone's comment
hvacsolution

Traditional fuels are subsidized! Do some research and see. Millions of dollars to BP, Shell etc. so if this is subsidized just putting them on a level playing field.
I would guess that it is from my early years in the field.

October 22 2013 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lxixwithu

When I saw the headline, I thought this article was about a gerbil powered car.

October 19 2013 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aries932

my ex..lived on orgamisms..

October 19 2013 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
STEELYAL

I know some good italian olive oil will make my Passat run very smooth :)

October 19 2013 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
STEELYAL

I have a Passat TDI . Where is my cane gas????

October 19 2013 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Where was the cost effective analysis? How much will it cost the consumer?

October 19 2013 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
skydivem

At the ridiculous high prices of Diesel, It's surprising the Company's took this long to make something work, to induce using the crap diesel.

October 19 2013 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply