You are here: TRANSLOGIC 126: Solazyme Algae-Derived Biodiesel

We head to a laboratory in Silicon Valley where Solazyme is using algae to produce a renewable biofuel. This biodiesel burns cleaner and is a drop in replacement for any standard diesel engine. We test out Solazyme's algae-derived biodiesel out in a Volkswagen Passat TDI.

Patricia

sounds like the fuel they are making in Brazil.....it's derived from SUGAR CANE

October 19 2013 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
psttx

Cost per mile is the true test. Bio diesel cost just as much as real diesel but mile has been 15% less so $4.00 diesel at 10 mpg is 40 cents per mile. When I have to buy bio diesel mileage drops to 8.5 mpg or 46 cents per mile. Add 15 cents times 100,000 miles and it cost you an extra $15,000 to drive 100,000 miles.
What is the true efficency of the stuff. Lets talk money not Green. Lots of hype!!!

October 19 2013 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elysianfields08

I thought the article meant the Bush family when I saw the headline

October 19 2013 at 6:15 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
wtbeckone

Nothing was mentioned about the cost or whether the government has to subsidize the company in order to make it competitive with traditional fuels

October 19 2013 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wtbeckone's comment
hvacsolution

Traditional fuels are subsidized! Do some research and see. Millions of dollars to BP, Shell etc. so if this is subsidized just putting them on a level playing field.
I would guess that it is from my early years in the field.

October 22 2013 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lxixwithu

When I saw the headline, I thought this article was about a gerbil powered car.

October 19 2013 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aries932

my ex..lived on orgamisms..

October 19 2013 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary1212

This is all great along with the thousands of other ideas but when will they mass produce one of these alternative fuels and give the oil companies a run for their money ? It would also have to be cheep enough to buy for the everyday consumer. Can't see this happening for another 20+ years. I'll be dead by then !
I lived through the so called gas crises in the early 70's and cars are not getting much better mpg today as long ago...(60's 70's 80's) Part of the blame is also on the car company's. The engines burn the fuel better as far as pollutants in the air but not much has been done for miles per gallon. A little better but not much ! 40 years since the gas crises and there still holding back on the good ideas that have been presented over the years that would give us better mpg. Shame on them.

October 19 2013 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Gary1212's comment
wwelbes

Exxon has invested over 2 billion in the construction of a new plant to grow algae and refine it into diesel fuel and it is scheduled to come on line in the next year. According to their corporate report they plan on having biofuels being half their production within 10-15 years. They have already started construction on a second facility for biofuel production. The fuels are equivalent in price and performance to petroleum derived fuels and they have already had them in their distribution chain for over 5 years. The currently just mix it with their other fuels for retail sale.

October 19 2013 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeffreysine

I tend to agree Gary. I had a 1977 ford f100 w/300cid straight six three on the tree. No computer garbage. Along w/o power steering, power breaks or air conditioning. This vehicle still had Wings to get air in along with real vents. I was getting 25-28 mpg. So lets take this same vehicle. Add the computer and fuel injection. Based on what these so called improvements should make in increasing gas mileage. This vehicle should get at least 35-40mpg. Where is it? And yes I realize this vehicle is no longer in production. Which begs another question. Why?

October 19 2013 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
STEELYAL

I know some good italian olive oil will make my Passat run very smooth :)

October 19 2013 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
STEELYAL

I have a Passat TDI . Where is my cane gas????

October 19 2013 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Where was the cost effective analysis? How much will it cost the consumer?

October 19 2013 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply