You are here: Video > Nissan Struggling To Keep Up With Leaf Demand

Nissan Struggling To Keep Up With Leaf Demand

AOL Original Content Posted: Jul 17th 2013 at 10:45AM by Michael Zak
Nissan Struggling To Keep Up With Leaf Demand
Just one year ago, many in the auto industry were starting to question the commercial viability of the Nissan Leaf electric vehicle. Sales lagged far behind projections, causing many to wonder if Nissan wasted time, energy and money to be early to market with a car that no one wanted.

According to a new report from Automotive News, however, Nissan is currently struggling to produce enough of the EVs to meet demand, thanks, in part, to a surge in interest in some unconventional places.

Buying an EV has become a practical thing to do.
The Leaf has met heavy demand in a few surprising markets. While conventional thinking is that EVs are most popular in West Coast cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles and Seattle--which is true, to a certain extent--the Leaf has become quite a hit in Dallas, St. Louis, Atlanta, Chicago and Raleigh.

Because people in these Midwest and Southern markets generally have shorter commutes than their West Coast counterparts, have places to charge overnight and have become victim to higher gas prices, buying an EV has become a practical thing to do.

Of course, we can't discount the fact that the Leaf is now much cheaper than ever. A new trim line introduced earlier this year, the S, cut the base sticker price of the car down to $28,800. And that doesn't even include a $7,500 tax credit from the federal government. When all is said and done, buyers can get into a LEAF for around $21,000. That's pretty enticing, no matter where you are.

[Source: Automotive News]

TRANSLOGIC 17: Nissan Leaf

debbie

I've had my leaf for almost a year and have a commute (one way) to work of about an hour and 15 minutes.
My leaf allowed me to save WELL over $400 a month on my commute alone and my electric bill has only gone up about $25 a month! You do the math. Its not only incredibly fun to drive I NEVER have to get gas !!!! The milage per charge differs with driving styles, but average is about 110 at the fullest. GO GREEN! It even tells you how many trees you save!

July 22 2013 at 8:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Porter Clan

Can someone clear this up. The article says the Leaf is about $28,000 and gets a tax credit of $7,500, making the price around $21,000. Doesn't the tax credit just come off your taxes and not off the actual price of the car?............

July 21 2013 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
janka51

where do they find idiots to buy a nissan ,

July 20 2013 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mikelookup

I am curious , how much extra is the electric bill for charging this car overnight?

July 20 2013 at 5:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mikelookup's comment
Brandon

Our electric bill went up by about $10 a month. But we spend about $210 less at gas stations each month. Between that, and the maintenance savings (we traded in a decade old minivan), we come out ahead each month and get to drive a great new car on top of that.

July 20 2013 at 10:47 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
HELLO AL

whats the range on a full charge ?

July 20 2013 at 1:46 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
HELLO AL

whats the range on a full charge ? they forgot to mention that.
luckyabj@comcast.net

July 20 2013 at 1:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigotes45

this cracks me up I wonder how many people will use the excuse of I forgot to plug my car in thats why I'm late thats why I did'nt come in to work, thats as bad as I forgot to charge my phone that why I did'nt call you

July 20 2013 at 1:36 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bigdaddyhooie

Why can't the United States offer a car that everyone can afford instead of electricity going through the roof? The big Oil companies and the insurance lobby along with the cost of medicine rule this country. Why can't they settle for less? We can't raise our wages like they can gas for the weekend and congress voting themselves pay raises but they want to take what little we have and thats called the G.O.P.

July 19 2013 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sharon.case

My electric bill is $200 per month without the car; I know if I buy an electric car, the cost to plug it in at night will end up costing more than gas would have. I'm leary.

July 19 2013 at 2:16 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sharon.case's comment
SteveEV

Fuel cost for a Prius is about fifteen cents per mile. Fuel cost for a LEAF is about three cents per mile. The solar collectors on my garage make my fuel cost zero. The cost of sunlight will never increase. How does that compare to gasoline?

July 19 2013 at 11:50 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply